Do You Have a Herniated Disc in Your Back?
DO YOU HAVE A HERNIATED DISC IN YOUR BACK?
This is a pretty frequent inquiry from our patients and can often be easily answered with a few simple questions. Let’s try a few on for size and if your answers point in that direction, it might be a good idea to have us take a closer look at your particular situation.
- Do you have pain that travels into your buttocks and/or radiates into either or both of your legs? Does it feel sharp, stabbing or burning?
- Do you have an altered sensation in your leg? Does your leg feel numb? Does it feel like it has ‘pins and needles’ in it? Is it hot or cold without reason?
- Do you have pain if you cough or sneeze or when you use the bathroom and have to bear down?
- Do you feel weakness in either or both of your legs? Have you taken an explained fall as a result?
- Is it painful for you to sit for any length of time?
While patients who have many if not all of the above symptoms often do have a herniated disc in the lower back, there are other conditions that can ‘mimic’ a herniated lumbar disc in the lower back. It’s amazing how many patients come to our clinic convinced they need back surgery when in reality their condition can be treated with conservative nonsurgical methods.
Take a few moments to answer the questions above and if it sounds a lot like you, then give us a call and we’ll help you take back your life!